Monday, May 19, 2008

Homeless in Munich

Our last day in Venice was supposed to include more romantic wandering along canals, more museums, perhaps some shopping, and then a night train to Salzburg. However, it rained. And when I say rained, I really mean rained (can you imagine cobbled uneven streets in a canal town flooded with rain? I couldn't before I saw this). So we left Venice on the next train we could find, which happened to be going to Munich.

Two trains and 9 hours later, we arrived at the station only to realize that we had no place to stay. Our night train idea precluded the need for a hostel, but that didn't happen. Luckily, there were several giant ads in the station for hostels, and super cheap ones! (did I worry you, mom? No need, we were fine)

Even on the way to the hostel (in the dark), we could see the orderliness of the streets and parks and the cleanliness of the city. There was construction, progress, and hostels put out signs instead of hiding: we were finally back in civilization!

We spent the next day seeing the expected sights of Munich: Marienplatz with its glockenspiel, the English Gardens with their beer halls, and the Maximilianplatz, including the local government housed in a beautiful 1870s building. All lovely, and a nice relaxing day after the tempest of Venice.

We then caught a late train to Salzburg and arrived safely at our next hostel.

Germany (and Austria) is definitely a good place for us, even though we don't speak their language and they don't all speak ours. We are slowly learning to say 'danke' instead of 'grazie,' but for me especially, context-switching is hard!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had to think about what you meant by "context-switching". Then it came to me, I think . . . I would tell you what I think it means but then, if I'm wrong, I would just make an ass of myself, wouldn't I?

flyydq Dad

Anonymous said...

It's been a real treat reading all your blog entries over the day today. I love your entries about Italy--it is such a different place compared to other European countries. I still remember the shock on Dad's face when we were trying to cross I don't know how many lanes and a guy went whizzing by making a left hand turn dodging pedestrians, cars, other motorcyclists and all the while chatting on his cell phone and smoking a cigarette. Italians take multitasking to a new level. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey, I finally found you on here! Allison was asking me if I could read your blog, and I haven't been abel to find it using the link you sent before, but now I did find it (obviously!!!). Missing you lots, and excited to read the blogs! Can't wait to see pics in person! Beth